Running fedora core 2 on Intel 915 chipset

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 04:47:39 UTC 2004

I just got three Dell GX280 computers for a lab, and tried to put
Fedora Core 2 on them.  Initially the network and X11 didn't work.  I
upgraded the kernel to the newest, and then the network works.  As far
as X11, no luck so far.  Even with the device set for VESA (using a
Dell 19" LCD with DVI connector) the monitor goes to sleep, and I get
a warning saying that it cannot lock a region of memory.  On the
suggestion of somebody on a dell support forum, I downloaded the
latest Intel drivers and tried to compile them.  Their script dies,
saying that I need the latest version of the modules.

Has anybody already played with this?  Is there an easy solution
(well, there is always the "put a different video card in" solution,
but that is so inelegant).

Matthe Asplund