broken grub question

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Sep 1 23:25:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:50, James Pifer wrote:
> I posted this to the redhat list, but there isn't much activity. I have
> a problem with grub on a redhat 9 machine that I'm hoping someone here
> might be able to help with. I have a Fedora system that appears to have
> the same problem.
>
> I installed a new kernel on the redhat 9 machine but do not see it in
> the menu on boot. I found that /boot/grub was empty.

Is /boot empty as well? are the initrd, map and kernel files listed when
you ls /boot?

> I tried
> reinstalling grub as well as manually putting the missing files back in
> based on another redhat 9 system I have.
>
> /etc/grub.conf points to /boot/grub/grub.conf. I modified grub.conf and
> it looks like below, but I still only see the original kernel listed.

	Okay, if I read you correctly your /boot/grub/ was empty and you copied
files from another box, But your system booted with an empty /boot/grub?

	I recall seeing something like that before and I think that the problem
was deemed to be two /boot partitions on the same machine causing linux
to become confused.  Is it possible you have 2 linux distros on your
machine? or maybe somewhere else you made an extra partition?

	To test the possibility of this, change the grub.conf file to something
that you can see upon boot, i.e. add 'test' to the title line or
something.

HTH

--
If in doubt, VOTE 'EM OUT!