Newbie & Questions

Paul Bryce pbryce at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 2 03:06:20 UTC 2004

Greg Lobring wrote:

>Hi everyone, I just installed FC2 on my old Dell XPS R-450, and the
>install went great. Forgive the newbie questions I will ask until I
>get used to everything...two things to start off...
>
>1. I clicked the Red Hat Network Alert Notification Tool, and
>installed everything that needed it. However, whenever I click it now,
>it says, "Your system is currently running kernel-2.6.5-1.358 but the
>newest installed kernel is kernel-2.6.8-1.521. It is recommended that
>you reboot at the first opportunity to test this new kernel."
>
>Well I have rebooted several times, and still get this message. Is
>there something I need to do to start using the new kernel? Running
>up2date tells me everything is up to date.
>
>2. I downloaded and installed Firefox (I like it better than Mozilla).
>However, I can't seem to get an icon on the taskbar for it. And I
>don't see it anywhere in my Menu Bar. I am able to run it using the
>Run command dialog box by pointing to the file in the folder where I
>installed it. I am running Gnome desktop.
>
>I guess I am still too used to Windows and need to re-adjust myself.
>Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!
>
>Greg

When I changed over to Firefox I siply opened the properties (right
click) of the existing Web Browser icon and changed the command to
/usr/Firefox/firefox (which is where the exec lies on my system) - works
fine...

I believe Thornton has answered your first question.

Regards,

Paul Bryce

--

/"...chance favours the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur/

/"One crowded hour of glorious life /
/is worth more than an a lifetime without a name" Allen Seeger/