20K(+) messages on this Mailing List folder

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Thu Sep 2 03:20:51 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

I subscribed to this list on May,2004. So far, I haven't delete any message at
all because once in a while I perform a search against it whenever I need to
find out about something (rather than going to the redhat archive).

I use Kmail on a Tualatin 1.4 Ghz, 512 MB and a 7200 RPM IDE disk. I now have
24,219 messages on the folder. I'm NOW starting to feel it.  Although I was
used to the 6-8 seconds it took Kmail to load...now when I click on the
Fedora-list folder, it takes about 1.5 seconds before it shows me a message
at all.

What do you recommend me?

Should I:

1> Buy a 10K RPM SCSI hard-disk? (would I notice a big improvement?)
2> Switch to maildir format?
3> Delete old msg's and get the habit of using redhat archive?

Comments are welcome!

Jorge