fedora install problem

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Thu Sep 2 08:29:17 UTC 2004

John Williams wrote:

>I am installing Red Hat fedora on my sony Viao laptop and when I
>finish I am unable to use the keyboard.  Does anyone know how to
>trouble shoot this problem?  Or do you know where i can find out how
>to fix it. thank you for your help.

I can only suggest a step-by-step approach. Try the following:

1. When the boot loader screen appears (I suppose you have GRUB
installed), press "a" in order to "append" some extra option to the
default boot configuration line.
2. You should now see a line that you can edit with arrow keys.
3. If you can't do this, you are deep in trouble. I can't help you any
more. Don't read any further.
4. If you can edit that line, go to its very beginning, and type "linux
1". Remember to leave a blank after the "1". This way, you are telling
the system that you want start it in administrator mode.
5. Press enter and cross your fingers.
6. After a while, you should see a shell prompt (like "sh xx.yy#").
7. Try to type anything. If your keyboard is working here, you have most
likely a problem with X (the graphical interface system). Go to the next
step.
8. Enter "init 3". This way you go into runlevel 3 (multi user) and you
will be prompted for a login. log in as root.
9. Check again your keyboard (it should still be working). Now try
"startx". Your graphical desktop should appear. Check your keyboard. If
it doesn't work, certainly you must check the configuration files for X
(/etc/X11/xorg.conf or something like that).

That's all for now.

Sorry if it's not very clear.

Good luck.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico