smtp and authentication

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Sep 2 17:38:53 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 02.09.2004 schrieb Doug Maurer um 19:33:

> When setting up my smtp server for authentation. (sendmail)
>
> I'm getting a message in /var/log/messages
> unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
>
> I've googled this thing and the only message says is to create and add
> pwmethod:saslauthd
> and i've also tried pwmethod:auxprop
>
> but i keep getting the message anyone know i can fix this, or point me
> to the right link
>
> Doug Maurer

The mail client is trying to auth using a MD5 MECH. This is by default
configured in sendmail.mc, with fallback to PLAIN or LOGIN. It is ok to
ignore the maillog messages if SMTP AUTH works though. If you need
DIGEST-MD5 or CRAM-MD5 auth mechs for your clients then you'll have to
setup the sasldb2 and change the Sendmail.conf file.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:35:09 up 3 days, 16:51, load average: 5.71, 5.11, 5.01