Doubt about ADSL security.

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Thu Sep 2 19:13:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 14:58, cviniciusm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a nic card and a ADSL modem. The ADSL modem thas NAT, Firewall,
> IP Filter and DHCP Server. The nic card has a private IP address and
> the modem has a public IP address. All just works fine. The firewall
> has attack protection and DOS protection both active. Need I more
> protection, on Windows 2000 and on Fedora Core 2?
>
> Thanks in advance, Vinicius.

Have you scanned your public IP or tried to connect to any open service
(like the firewall's admin website if it has one)?

I'd still keep everything updated on both machines.  If your paranoid,
you can run something like zonealarm or any other software based
firewall on the win box and iptables on the fedora box.  On the fedora
box you should shutdown any service you don't use.