Possible bug with ntpd and Iptables

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Sep 2 19:37:15 UTC 2004

--On Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:06 PM -0700 Nifty Hat Mitch
<mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It makes sense to me that /etc/init.d/iptables should have some
> awareness of applications that depend or are impacted on it and ntpd
> seems to be just such a case.  The list could be long expect the keepers
> of iptables to not want to open the door to a flood.

This looks like a layer problem to me. iptables is really a low-level tool
for implementing firewalls, yet it's treated like high-level service by the
initscripts. There are also a lot of high-level firewall systems like
shorewall and fwbuilder that replace the low-level service provided by the
iptables initscript. None of these would be aware of the "manual"
hole-punching that the ntpd script does.

If we need network services to have the ability to request holes, we need
some common scheme to communicate this among all the many possible
participants. For instance, we could have a directory
/etc/sysconfig/firewall-requests where packages like ntpd can drop their
requirements in a neutral specification language. Any firewall package can
parse this directory and modify its rules accordingly.

(BTW, the DHCP client has a similar issue: DHCP can supply many
configuration values, and currently the client only runs a single script to
manage them all. A better solution is a directory of scripts supplied from
different packages.)