Bug with the panel used to change the driver of the video card ?

Dellacherie Stephane dellache at CRM.UMontreal.CA
Thu Sep 2 22:42:27 UTC 2004

I have found that the best driver for my video card should be the ATI
Radeon 64 DDR (AGP) : indeed, my video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon
graphics controller with user selectable 32-MB or 64-MB DDR SDRAM 4X AGP.

Since the FC2 DVD has previously installed the driver VESA driver
(generic), I have tried to change the driver. Thus, I have selected the
Radeon 64 DDR (AGP) driver. This has changed the file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Indeed, it is written in xorg.conf :

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon 64 DDR (AGP)"
EndSection

Note that before, it was written :

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "vesa"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
EndSection

Thus, everything should be ok.

But, when I check the properties of the video, it is again written (see
"Material") that I use the VESA driver (generic) !!!

And, indeed, I think that the video is not at all optimized !

Thus : where is the bug ? Do I have installed the ATI Radeon driver or
not ???

Or, Is this driver well adapted to my video card ?

Moreover, I don't find the monitor driver (my monitor is a 12.1-inch TFT
XGA display). Thus, I use :

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
        VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

(this is written in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf).  Perhaps the bad
results of the video is also due to a bad driver for my monitor ???