Lost FC2 partition, considering options...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 3 17:40:36 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 03.09.2004 schrieb jim higson um 18:47:

> I'm wondering what to do now, FC3t1 looks interesting, but with test2 out in a few days it might not be the best choice. I'd like to
> help out the development, but don't want to have to do a full reinstall for a long time.

Then better do not use test releases. Stick with FC2.

> Are the Fedora Cores just a collection of packages known to work with each other (like Debian etc)? For example if I pointed a
> FC3t1 computer at a t2 yum/apt repo does it become test2?

Have you ever done a downgrade with Debian? I would wonder if that works
flawless. Same with downgrading, especially from test releases.

> Apart from bandwidth, is there any disadvantage in getting FC3t1 now, then updating to t2 and FINAL via apt, rather than getting
> the ISOs for each new release? Does anaconda upgrading versions of Fedora Core just upgrade the RPMs in the same way yum
> or apt would, or is there more to it?

Upgrading from any test release to a stable Fedora Core release is not
guarantied, stated a couple of times already in the past here on the
list. It might work, it might fail and mean some manual work to succeed.

> On pretty much the same theme, I know someone with FC1, can I just point him at a FC2/3 repository or is there some reason why
> he should get the ISOs?

From FC1 to FC2 is a big step. Please see the list mails from past
explaining that point. Depending on how the current system is set up
such an online upgrade might work very smooth, but it may be a pain.
Anyway, I would recommend a good full backup before starting with the
procedure.

> Jim

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:34:58 up 4 days, 16:51, load average: 1.44, 1.02, 0.88