user specific startup

kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 3 18:56:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:16:20PM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:

> I want to run fetchmail under my user account at startup.  What's
> the best way to launch it?  I tried using cron with "fetchmail -d
> 600", but that generates errors for all subsequent invocations.

I use a crontab entry of "@reboot /usr/bin/fetchmail -d 600"

This will, as you've probably summised, start fetchmail running using
your account information in daemon mode each time that the computer is
rebooted.  It will not restart fetchmail if it fails, but in practice
I've never seen that happen.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA