Going from cyrus imap to dovecot

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 4 00:55:56 UTC 2004

--On Friday, September 03, 2004 9:35 AM -0700 Gordon Charrick
<gordonmc at cox.net> wrote:

> When I convert my main machine from FC1 to FC2 I want to move from using
> cyrus imapd to dovecot. It's mainly for simplicity but I also want to
> use a more standard mail directory format. Unfortunately, I haven't
> found a way to convert my existing mail to maildir format. There seems
> to be lots of information on how to convert to the cyrus format but not
> from it. I really need to keep metainformation like whether or not the
> message has been read already. Has anyone done this?

First, you could check the dovecot mailing list to see if someone has done
this:

http://dovecot.org/

One idea that comes to mind is to set up a temporary box running Dovecot
and drag your messages in your client from one server's folder to the
other's, letting the client do the work using the IMAP protocol. You can
even do this using the mailutil utility that comes with the UW-IMAP
package. It uses IMAP protocol to copy or move folders.