vsftpd chrooted setup

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Sep 4 04:21:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 16:01, Nina Pham wrote:
> attachment is vsftpd.conf. The chroot lines are commented out. With this
> file, vsftpd runs fine, but if uncommented line
> chroot_local_user=NO
> chroot_list_enable=YES
> chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list (This is set by default if
> chroot_list_enable=YES
>
> then after starting vsftpd, /sbin/service vsftpd status will give error
> message *"vsftpd dead but subsys locked".
> *Any idea?

My vsftpd.conf file attached works fine and chroots everyone but those
listed in  the chroot_list_file
I had the same message you have when I had settings wrong in the conf
file and had to carefully check file names and paths. IIRC it was the
path/name/permissions of the chroot_list_file that caused the error for
me.

****************************
[root at goliath vsftpd]# cat /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_std_format=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
chroot_list_enable=YES
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=NO
listen=YES
tcp_wrappers=NO