Modules question

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Sep 4 12:42:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:29:48 -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:

> About a year ago, I installed an ide CDRW.  I added the following lines to
> modules.conf:
>
> options ide-cd ignore=hdb
> pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
> pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
> pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi
>
> Since upgrading from RH 9 to FC 2, I now get "fatal error" at boot up for sg
> module. What is the sg module?

SCSI generic

> The reason I ask is that under RH 9, I
> always got an error about sound.

Unrelated.

> My mother board does not have sound nor do
> I have a sound card.  So I'm sure that's why I got the sound error under RH
> 9.

What error? modprobe warnings in system log file can be ignored and
switched off via /etc/modprobe.conf

> Is the sg module for sound?  If so, can I comment it out without affecting
> the operation of the CDRW?

The ATAPI CD-ROM SCSI-emulation entries you've created are not needed in
Fedora Core 1 and in particular not needed in Fedora Core 2. FC1 uses
a kernel command-line parameter (hdb=ide-scsi) in /boot/grub/grub.conf,
and FC2 no longer uses SCSI-emulation for your CDRW.

Btw, your message appears as a reply to

  Subject: RE: Rpmbuild question

because you replied to an existing thread. Please avoid that in the
future.

--
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl
loadavg: 0.39 0.32 0.19