SSH without password

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 4 19:40:40 UTC 2004

--On Saturday, September 04, 2004 2:35 PM -0500 Michael Sullivan
<michael at espersunited.com> wrote:

> I scp'd my ~/.ssh/known_hosts file over to the server, but it still asks
> me for my password every time I log in over there (which is quite often
> actually.)  What else do I have to do to avoid having to enter my
> password every time?

known_hosts is used on the client for protocol 1 connections, to verify
that the server is who it claims to be. There's also a known_hosts2 file
for protocol 2. On the server you need the files authorized_keys and
authorized_keys2 to hold the public keys authorized to connect to that
account. Your private key will be in one of the files identity (for RSA) or
id_dsa (for DSA) on the client.

Also be careful about permissions. The .ssh directory must not have group
or world access. Set it to 0700. The server won't accept PK connections if
that directory is too loose.