Please help a MS refugee

Beej bryan-smith at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 4 20:58:00 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve <steve.bolam at telus.net>
Sent: Sep 4, 2004 4:22 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject: Please help a MS refugee

Can I get someone to recommend a reference book to help me get started
with this new adventure.  I have installed FC2 and am feeling a little
overwhelmed.  Problems that I am encountering are probably old hat to
most of you ;) but I feel lost and alone.  I think a book would be the
most useful tool so I don't ask questions that have been answered a
hundred times already.

Thanx in advance.

Hi Steve,
Yes, as Paul says, there are darned few if any general books on the subject.  The best advice is look to archives of this list,  search the man pages here: http://man.linuxquestions.org .
and ask away about what you want to do.  I haven't been at it l;ong myself, but I have found that getting things working has bee my major hurdle.  That can be very difficult.  One book that has proven useful so far is "The Official Fedora Companion" by Nick Petreley published by Redhat press.  Comes with a couple of CD's and, contrary to previous thought  does attempt to get you started understanding  the command line interface.  Something that you will find useful as you get further involved with Linux in general and Fedora in particular.  Hope this helps.  Welcome to the boat with the rest of us refugees!  Remember don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.  Most of them are petty things.
Later,
Beej