How do I Maintain hard disk health

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 5 10:18:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:34:06AM -0700, Michael Marsh wrote:

> I run fedora as a samba server and have just recovered from my second
> hard disk crash in only 8 months.  Is there a way that i can monitor
> and fix hard disk health between disasters?

It is necessary to track the drive temperature on all the devices in a
server.  smartd can do that. (smartd - SMART Disk Monitoring Daemon).

Also there are some tuning params that could make a drive quick on a
workstation and die on a server.  Do not over tune the drives in a
server.  ( see hdparm - get/set hard disk parameters)

Add an extra fan if you can, make sure the air flows.

Of interest the smartd stuff can log drive temperature and some other
persistent params.  A vendor can check to see if you cooked the drive
and deny you a warranty replacement.  You might as well watch the same
stuff that they can see.  I have not heard of a vendor cutting an
individual off but they could.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004