low power linux box

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 6 04:25:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

> now here's my issue.  my linux box will probably stay running 24/7.  i want
> something that consumes as little power as possible.  my current machine is
> an athlon xp 2400.  i notice if i leaving running all the time, my electric
> bill is substantially higher and my house is noticably warmer.
>
> on the other hand, i will be compiling from sources often (especially KDE
> stuff), so i need something beefy.  are there any low power, but high
> performance options out there?

How about Athlon 64 with 'Cool & Quiet'?  The peak spec is 89W - and
it goes down to 22W (at 1GHz low freq mode.)

Checkout:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf

And linux/FC2 has powernow-k8 driver to govern the
cpu-frequency-scaling.  Not sure if this driver is enabled in FC2-i386
(but I believe it is enabled in FC2-x86_64).

Satish