Kernel option: SWAP

Juan L. Pastor seguridadlinux at yahoo.es
Mon Sep 6 16:35:44 UTC 2004

Hi,

I want to increase my knowledge about the options we can choose when
recompiling the kernel. I have already encountered some doubts just
starting:

Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap) (SWAP)

This option allows you to choose whether you want to have support
for socalled swap devices or swap files in your kernel that are
used to provide more virtual memory than the actual RAM present
in your computer. If unsure say Y.

What king of swap devices or files makes this option reference to? I get
the following error recompiling if I disable it:

kernel/built-in.o(.text+0x179d): In function `mmput':
: undefined reference to `put_swap_token'
mm/built-in.o(.text+0xfc8): In function `filemap_nopage':
: undefined reference to `grab_swap_token'
mm/built-in.o(.text+0xe658): In function `page_referenced_one':
: undefined reference to `has_swap_token'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
[root at kalimotxo linux-2.6.8-1.521]#

I thought that defining the swap filesystem and mounting it with swapon
was enough.

Juan