Fedora Core 2 uninstallable on my machine

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Sep 6 19:33:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 08:00, Jeffrey Mutonho wrote:
> Hi guys.I'm re-posting my message as the original on never appeared on the list:
>
> Hi guys.
> I've been battling with installing FC2 on my machine.My installation
> keeps failing with a message saying "Install exited abnormally..." and
> then a message for me to reboot the machine.I've googled and stumbled
> upon a post (at
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg05225.html)with
> the same problem and the response seemed to suggest that it was a
> hardware issue.FC1 installs without a problem.I've used the same CDs
> on another work machine and had no problems at all.
>
> There's a summary of my machine:
>

>From the information on the summary below I see one potential problem
that none of the other posters mentioned (yes it may be a dumb question
but I want to rule out all the possibilities).

Your summary of the hard disks indicates 3 partitions of type NTFS with
a total of ~80gb.  I realize  that you have 2 drives, but I wonder how
you are doing the install.

Are you trying to install to an existing partition? or are you creating
new install partitions?
Which hard drive is master and which is slave?
Where are the NTFS partitions?

Can you provide an fdisk -l output for each drive (will answer the
second and 3rd questions above) and the answers to my questions above.

<snip>
> Physical Storage Devices
> Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
> Hard Disk : MAXTOR 6L040J2 (37.3GB)
> Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y080L0 (76.3GB)
> CD-ROM/DVD : DVDRW IDE1108 (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd, 5X Wr)
> CD-ROM/DVD : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr)
>
> Logical Storage Devices
> 1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
> Hard Disk (C:) : 39.1GB (20.4GB, 52% Free) (NTFS)
> Hard Disk (D:) : 19.7GB (13.1GB, 66% Free) (NTFS)
> Hard Disk (E:) : 17.6GB (11.9GB, 68% Free) (NTFS)
> Clearworkdisk (F:) : 556MB (0MB, 0% Free) (CDFS)
> Tomcat (G:) : 88MB (0MB, 0% Free) (CDFS)
<snip>