FC1 Printer sharing only works with Win98

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Sep 7 01:52:21 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 07.09.2004 schrieb M.Hockings um 2:39:

> I am trying to share a printer attached to an FC1 box on our network.
> The network has a mix of FC1, Win98, Win2K and WinXP boxes.  The printer
> is configured and working just fine on the FC1 box that it is attached
> to just fine.  And I have been able to configure the Win98 boxes to use
> it successfully as well.  However any attempt to get it to work with
> other FC1 boxes, Win2K or XP fail.  Browsing for the printer (SMB I
> guess?) and configuring it works just fine but printing fails miserably.
>  I did try turning off the firewall on the machine with the printer but
> that does not seem to help.  If it matters, the printer is an old HP
> DeskJet 870cxi.

> Mike

Let the setup for the Win98 box(es) as it is. You was not sure how you
configured it so far.

Add the printer with a new queue with redhat-config-printer for Cups and
allow the other hosts (Fedora, Win2k/WinXP) to talk to it using IPP. No
Samba sharing is necessary for this.

Maybe see:

http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
http://contribs.org/contribs/rvandenaker/beta/e-smith-cups/documentation/howtos/printing-to-raw-queues.html
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 03:41:22 up 8 days, 58 users, load average: 0.24, 0.30, 0.28