Filesystem used other than ext3.

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Sep 7 11:41:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Badli Al Rashid wrote:

> Hai,
>
> Just wondering , does anyone use other filesystem than ext3? as im used
> to installed using the default fs which is ext3. i know that we can use
> the "linux reiserfs" or "linux jfs" option but whats the use of using
> other fs rather than the default?

There are other filesystems, too...including "XFS".

Each journaling filesystem has its strengths and weaknesses...usually
having to do with writing/deleting of large or small files, etc.

Most of the journaling filesystems, other than ext3, don't require fsck in
the event of an improper shutdown, which speeds up the boot process in
such a case.

> does it impact performance for the server, example mail, fileserving
> with samba etc?

Not in my experience.  You'd have to be doing a pretty severe amount of
file read/write to really see any issues.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit