SCSI tape drive with Adaptec adapter...

Gregory Gulik greg at gulik.org
Tue Sep 7 16:53:42 UTC 2004

Tom Taylor wrote:
> If you have a terminator on the end of the cable then the on-drive terminator
> should be set to OFF or NOT ACTIVE.  Having two terminators causes an
> improper load on the controller resulting in errors.  Don't think that is the
> REAL problem here though.

Yes, when I switched to the cable with the built in terminator I
disabled the tape drive's on-board termination.

> It's been several years since I used a 2940 and don't remember the cards
> configuration settings.  Have you tried the Adaptec and Seagate (they bought
> Conner) web sites?

The Adaptec 2940s are fairly basic SCSI cards that have been around for
ages.  I used to use this card and tape drive in a different box several
years ago with Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3 and never had any problems with it.
"It just worked" back then.

--
Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/
greg @ gulik.org