Max open connections

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 04:18:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 04:25:22PM +0900, d l wrote:

> > You may try to decrease the limit with
> >
> > echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_max_orphans
>
> Those connections spawned by the p2p applic (mldonkey)is
> not orphaned. The is no setting in that program to restict
> number of connections. So large number of connections are
> made, but they are all "healthy". Problem is the external
> router is not capabled of handling so many connections and
> it is DoSed.

A socket will count as a file descriptor so
limit the number of files that mldonkey can open.

	  ## get a spare shell.
      bash
	  ## limit the number of files
      ulimit -n 200
	  ## start mldonkey
      mldonkey

If it is inetd or some other daemon that is running these on demand
you will have to look at the source to add a tool to manage it.

You should be able to see these with "lsof".
I do see this comment that gives me pause....
        -n     The maximum number of open file descriptors (most systems
                     do not allow this value to be set)
If this is the case for you then you must look at the source
and find a way to manage it there.

If you are running MLdonkey be sure to connect to the management interface:

   "MLdonkey runs as a daemon on the computer. It can be controlled
   using several interfaces: the simplest one is telnet (telnet
   127.0.0.1 4000), a more interesting one is a WEB server
   (http://127.0.0.1:4080/), and a binary protocol allows access using
   more elaborate Graphical Interfaces (see the GUIs available on your
   system at the bottom of the page). MLdonkey comes by default with a
   GTK interface. All these interfaces can be used locally, or
   remotely (after disabling security restrictions).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004