Modules question

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 10:22:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 08:29:48AM -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:

> About a year ago, I installed an ide CDRW.  I added the following
> lines to modules.conf:

> options ide-cd ignore=hdb
> pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
> pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
> pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi
>

> Since upgrading from RH 9 to FC 2, I now get "fatal error" at boot

Two key changes RH9 to FC2 may apply here.

First the older SCSI emulation layer that has been required by IDE CDROM
burner software and other devices is no longer separate.

Another is that  /etc/modules.conf has been replaced by
/etc/modprobe.conf (when the 2.6 kernels arrived).

A onetime conversion would have been done by a conversion script that
does not seem to get things like this and USB right.

Of interest the SCSI command set design is rich enough that it is used
by a lot of devices that are connected by physical layers that are not
SCSI.  This command set .vs. physical layer thing might cause some
people confusion.

As other replied to this thread just comment out and later delete  those
"sc and scsi" lines as they are probably unnecessary.

Any major kernel update could rename, discard, reorganize, replace
merge or extract functionality... as you have found.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004