FC1 to FC2 HowTo?

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Fri Sep 10 05:11:54 UTC 2004

Gerry Doris wrote:

>Has anyone put together a howto to upgrade an FC1 system to an FC2 system.
>
>I have to do an upgrade shortly and it's been a long time since I did the
>last one.  Unfortunately, I didn't bother to make notes of the problems I
>ran into.  I do remember that there weren't many but I did have to wade
>through some.

I don't know about a HOWTO, but I've upgraded about 17 machines from RH9
or FC1 to FC2, just using the "upgrade" option in the installion GUI.
Most machines are dhcp'd, some use NIS and NFS. You might want to review
fedorafaq.org, and do a full backup, before starting.

My only real problems have been with a Dell Latitude notebook. FC2 uses
the x.org, rather than the xfree86.org X11 release. Somehow, the guts of
the way the mouse/kbd/display are handled really fragged this notebook.
It used to be able to exit X cleanly under FC1, but cannot with FC2. I
have another message about the dell elesewhere in the list.

Also I have a Lexmark printer that stopped working after the FC1 to FC2
upgrade. It would print the test page from the print confiigurator, but
not from any other application. The "full debugging" option of cupsd
showed a similar set of events taking place in the syslog either way,
and activity lights flashed on the printer. It just would not physically
print anything but the print configurator test page. Reinstalling the
printer as a networked LPD (rather than IPP) fixed it. It used to work
under IPP.

---
John