3 hard drives as 1

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 21:16:47 UTC 2004

Ragnar Wiencke wrote:

>Hi there guys.
>
>I am installing FC2 with 3x10GB hard drives. I got about 8.5GB of free space
>on each drive. How can I mount the 3 partitions so that I see one mounting
>point with about 25GB space?
>
>Tia,
>Ragnar W.

Well, you need to first create a 100mb /boot partition on one of the
drives, preferably the master drive that the bootloader will be
installed on. There are two options:

For the rest of the drives create an LVM partition on each one, then
create a Logical Volume group, so you have 3 8.5gb LVM volumes in one
group. Make the LVM group your "/" partition, then you will have ~25gb
of space.

You could do something similar by creating Software RAID partitions
instead of LVM, and setup a RAID 0 (striped across all 3 drives) array
to mount /.

In either case, make sure you make a swap partition on one of the
drives. I am currently using a 75gb LVM on /dev/hda and a 35gb LVM on
/dev/hdb, which gives mes a "/" filesystem of 110gb. Works very well and
I have had no problems yet.