aic7xx system hangs

Jeremy Conlin jlconlin at umich.edu
Fri Sep 10 22:37:08 UTC 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 5:23 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>
>> I did install FC2 from the CDs.  My latest installation was upgrading
>> from RH9.  I know my system will boot into RH9 so that is where I
>> started.
>
> If you upgraded from RH9, wouldn't you have the old kernel?
> If that worked with RH9, it should work with FC2.
>
> I have a machine (desktop) with SCSI only disks.
> The kernel that came with FC1 did not work,
> and neither did the kernel that came with FC2.
> (I don't remember if the kernel that came with RH9 worked,
> but the one that came with RH8 definitely did.)
> But in each case I upgraded from the previous system,
> and the kernel that was working on the previous system still worked.
> In every case I compiled a new kernel with SCSI in the kernel,
> and that worked perfectly.
>
> I've also acquired the habit of making a boot CD with "mkbootdisk
> --iso"
> as soon as I get the system working.
>
> I found Knoppix and tomsrtbt both "saw" my SCSI disks,
> I think in all cases.
> A very old version of SuSE also saw the disks.
> So why not try Knoppix?
> If that sees the disks then the problem must lie in the kernel
> that came with FC2.

Well I don't know enough about Fedora or linux in general to know
whether or not the machine "should" boot or not after upgrading from a
working kernel.  All I know is that it did not work.  I considered
always booting from a disk because I know I can do that (I installed
that way and I can go into rescue mode).  I chose not to always boot
from a disk because I don't want to require the disk to be present for
the OS to run.

Jeremy