Installing FC2 on second HDD

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 11 04:06:12 UTC 2004

Michael Bendorf wrote:
> I have successfully downloaded and MD5SUM checked all
> the FC2 CD .iso's. I want to instll FC2 on my second
> HDD and have a dual boot option as to keep my stable
> and *familiar* RH 8.0. Is there a procedure to install
> FC2 on the second HDD without actually burning the
> iso's? I know I can mount the images from my main HDD
> where I downloaded them to (/Fedora/FC2*.iso), but can
> I do anything with them from there?
> Thanks for the advise.

You want to download the iso images to a partition that you do not
intend to be part of the install. If you wanted to, you could make a
directory on your rhl8 system and download the iso images there.

I set up a partition that was big enough to store the image files. I
then downloaded the boot.iso for the desired release from the images
directory.
/mirror/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images
as an example for where the location is contained in some mirrors.

Then burn the boot.iso to a CD and insert into a bootable drive.
Select hd drive and a scrollable list indicating your hd partitions will
  appear. Select the partition that the image files are located on and
also enter the path up to where the installation images are kept.

The installer should appear and you can take it from there.

If you want to completely get away from using any cdrom burning,
installing the first iso file might work for you. This I have not done,
but there are how to do this info within the archives and maybe Fedora
related websites.

Jim