Allowing telnet connection

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Sep 12 09:28:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 05:03, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 18:22, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > No, it does not reload but restart, means stop and start. To enable the
> > telnet server through xinetd the proper command is
> >
> > service xinetd reload
> >
> > which reloads by sending a kill -HUP to the process.
> >
> > > Mike Burger
> >
> Alexander
>
> Please explain any (important to the end user) differences between
> reload and restart.
>
> Although the process to get there is slightly different, as I understand
> it the end result is the same.  The daemon is running with the new
> configuration.
>
> Thus, unless I am completely lost here, it really makes no difference to
> the user which method is used to reach the same goal.
>
> Your explanation above, while technically correct, is irrelevant to the
> end result in this case.

Not quite; whilst the state of the services is the same at the end, the
state during the changeover is different. Doing a reload is not only
faster, but all unaltered services remain running throughout, whilst
with a restart those services would have been stopped for a while. For
most people this wouldn't make a different but on a busy server it might
be important. So Alex's advice is "best practise".

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>