Mail Setup

Volker Kindermann ml at ps102.de
Sun Sep 12 09:55:14 UTC 2004

Hi Rob,

> What I am trying to do is setup a mail server that can handle up to
> about 20/25 users, some on my network and some external. Currently most
> are managed using mercury under W2k, but I would like to setup a
> dedicated mail server to do the job. The other factors are multiple
> domains and the need to support Webmail and as the users will be using
> Windows, a virus checker, spam suppression and I that am new to Fedora/
> Linux.

first of all, 20-25 Users will leave the mailserver idle most of the time, so the load is irrelvant for choosing a MTA (Mail transfer agent).

Then my advice would be: take the MTA you know best (postfix, qmail, exim, sendmail). If you know none, than postfix is a good choice (relativly easy to configure, good documentation available, some (very) good book available). I would recommend Kyle Dent's Postfix book published by O'Reilly. Nostarch is launching a postfix book soon, where one of the authors (Ralf Hildebrandt) is an ex-coworker of mine and proven postfix-guru.

You're asking for the next steps.

First I would install and configure postfix with amavisd-new, spamassassin and perhaps clamav. A very good documentation doing this is at: http://www.flakshack.com/anti-spam/

It's written for OpenBSD but you could easily transform it to Red Hat/Fedora.

As for the IMAP/POP3/Webmail part I would recommend the courier-imap server and sqwebmail. Documentation for that is available at the according websites.

 -volker