README: Current Fedora Core 2 Problems & Solutions/Helpful Links

Lisa (TheAverageJane) melgil88 at optonline.net
Sun Sep 12 13:28:57 UTC 2004

Who is this email for?
People who are new to fedora-list and most likely new to Fedora Core 2.

What is this email for?
It's a listing of the latest/most thread producing problems that crop up
with Fedora Core 2. It is an attempt to stave off the same questions
being asked over and over again on this list.  The intent is that new
folks will read it and find the info they need without asking here as
this is an *extremely* busy list. Also included are helpful links to get
a newbie started reading the most important news and information about
Fedora, its included window managers, and Linux in general.

"I'm tired of seeing this thing every week!"
Filter it out!  Here's a very informative thread posted for Ximian
Evolution:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg01250.html

If any oldbies have quick tips on filtering with other email apps,
please mail me off-list and I'll include them.

This list is now available here as well:
http://www.peepingdarklord.com/fedoralist/
for those who want to refer back to it easily.

Now, on to the good stuff! ;)

Latest problems:

"I upgraded to kernel 2.6.8.1 and now I can't burn CD's!"

http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/

X-CD-Roast seems to work fine though:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=109323233721087&w=2

***WinXP Dual boot problems***
So you've installed Fedora Core 2 and now you can't boot into Windows
XP...STOP RIGHT THERE! Quit playing with that partition table. Go here
for the fix:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nodualboot

If you'd like to read in-depth info on this problem, why it happens and
why the above cure works, go here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

***Asus P4P800 Series motherboard/Via C3Processor motherboards***
Got one and tried to install Fedora Core 2?  Won't install, right?  Go
here to fix:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installreboot

***FC2 Mounting of USB Storage devices fails with error reading
sector***
Update to a later kernel package, eg, from

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/

Use rpm -i to install the kernel package, then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf
set default=0 and reboot into the new kernel

Want to boot from floppy disk?  Try this:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-June/msg04381.html

This list has seen alot of questions/problems on SATA drives.  Here's
the latest Buzilla list:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=sata&cmdtype=doit

Another thread generator is USB problems:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=usb&cmdtype=doit

It's never too late to read the Release Notes for Fedora Core 2:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

Using FC2 in a production environment, or thinking about doing so? Just
a little bit of advice from http://fedora.redhat.com/ :

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
product of Red Hat, Inc."

Please consider those 3 sentences carefully.

For other problem fixes/information, please go to the Unofficial FAQ.
Trust me, the answer is probably there.  If it's not, there will most
likely be a link to it:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Have a look atFedoraNEWS.ORG's current news article...scroll down to the
"Round-up of some usual/common FC2 issues":

http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/current.shtml

Try the Fedora Forum:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/

Check Bugzilla, try the "most frequently reported bugs" listing first:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/duplicates.cgi

Here's the link to the Archive for this list:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

You can try the search feature at the top of that page, but it's been
known to be flaky at times. If you have problems there, go to:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

That's an alternate site for the fedora-list archives and has a working
search engine.

Try Google:

http://www.google.com/
-or-
http://www.google.com/linux

Slap a string in there with your error message (or part of it) and see
if anyone else has had the problem.

If you can't find an answer to your problem with any of those steps
above, post here at fedora-list at redhat.com.  But BEFORE YOU DO THAT- two
things that will get you mighty quick answers.

The first is Netiquette:

-Don't top-post.  Please put your reply *below* the reply of the person
that posted before you.
-Cut irrelevant text from the post before yours. It's polite to indicate
this in some way.
-Don't post in HTML, use plain text as some folks' mail readers don't
read HTML format.

The second is to include the following information about your problem:

-A descriptive subject title. This will spare folks who don't have
advice from spending the time reading your note, and will single out
those who do. It will also be a great help to those who come after you
with the same problem.
-Hardware specs of your machine: motherboard, CPU, video card, ethernet
card, etc...
-Software info: Kernel version, Window manager.
-Error messages.
-Steps you took that got you to this error.

General non-problem stuff:

Got window manager questions? Want to know how to do something in your
chosen window manager?

If you're using Gnome, go here:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/

Mailing lists:

If you're using KDE, go here:
http://www.kde.org/documentation/

Mailing lists:

Now that you've got your Fedora box up and running, of course you want
to stuff it full of apps and goodies!  Go to FreshRPMs:

http://tettnang.freshrpms.net/

 -or-

Freshmeat:
http://freshmeat.net/

For a listing of repositories for YUM or APT, see:
http://fedoratracker.org

Want to know how to do something?  See the HOWTO'S!

http://tldp.org/

For general Linux usage/questions, I've found this message board useful:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/