email server question

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 12 16:20:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 12:03, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Good Morning all,
>
> Wwll, I have now gotten to my email server from the outsite but am still
> getting:
>
> MailEnable: Message Delivery Failure.

>     [SMTP:lonnie at outstep.com]: Remote SMTP Server Returned: 550 5.7.1
> <lonnie at outstep.com>... Relaying denied
>
> What do I need to do to fixt this?
>
> I am using dovecot and sendmail. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks and have a great day,
> Lonnie

Most likely you are either trying to send a message through your server
instead of to an account on the server or you do not have the domain
name information on the server setup correctly.

The relaying denied message is saying the message being sent is not
going to an account on that server.  This is normal and the default
setup since having an open relay on the Internet is a very bad things as
spammers tend to use them to spam everyone else.

Check your /etc/hosts file to make sure you have entries for your IP
address and the correct domain name for your server.

Check the sendmail.mc file to make sure it has the correct information
for you server as well.  If you are using the default sendmail
configuration file you will have to make some minor changes.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Never explain.  Your friends do not need it and your enemies will never
believe you anyway.
		-- Elbert Hubbard