Fedora Core 2 questions / concerns

admin at usachurch.com admin at usachurch.com
Sun Sep 12 20:27:16 UTC 2004

Hello Alexander (and list),

>  > 2.  Is there any difference between Core 1 with all of its packages
>>  up2date and Core 2?
>
>Yes, many differences. The biggest step with many consequences from Core
>1 to 2 is the switch from kernel 2.4 to 2.6. There is too the switch
>from Xfree86 to xorg, newer Gnome and KDE, renamed GUI config tools.

I am only using Fedora for serving our main webapp - i.e. apache, tomcat, Java,
postgresql, squid, etc.  I don't even install X or any gui tools.
Based on this,
should FC2 be pretty straight forward to get up an running?  (I've
got 1 postgres
box, 2 apache/tomcat/java boxes, and 1 squid box.)

>  > 3.  How is the stability of Core 2 overall?  i have several
>>  production Core 1 boxes, and they have
>>  performed very well with no stability concerns.
>
>My workstation runs FC2 excellent. All depends on the specific hardware
>you use. Overall the kernel 2.6 is not that far as the kernel 2.4 is
>developed now. No general answer can be given.

Similar to above, I use higher-end motherboards with only basic video cards
and usually several network cards.  I'm running Athlon XP and P4 xeon CPUs.

Have any of you run into any stability issues with FC2 running as a server
with similar hardware and usage/services as I have described?

>A fresh install is recommended, yes. You can risk an upgrade, less
>"risky" using the CDs, more "risky" doing an online upgrade using yum or
>up2date. For each upgrade have a complete and valid backup in backhand.

So, what is the verdict on this?  Since joining the list, I've heard
several people
claim that upgrading has gone well and straight installs not so well?

>  > 5.  I heard a while back about some completely new security system
>>  that was being developed into Fedora - something the government was
>  > involved in as well.  Is there any info you could pass along?
>
>SELinux

thanks for the links!  I am *extremely* interested in this, and this
will give me
reason to upgrade in and of itself.  Has anyone setup a FC2 server
with SELinux?
Any comments?

Regards,
Devin