Mail Setup

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Sep 12 22:34:18 UTC 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 09:44, Robert Slade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried goggle and the howtos but all I have managed to do is get
> confused.
>
> What I am trying to do is setup a mail server that can handle up to
> about 20/25 users, some on my network and some external. Currently most
> are managed using mercury under W2k, but I would like to setup a
> dedicated mail server to do the job. The other factors are multiple
> domains and the need to support Webmail and as the users will be using
> Windows, a virus checker, spam suppression and I that am new to Fedora/
> Linux.
Will this be an FC1 or an FC2 box? (it only affects the software that is
available)

> I have had a 'play' with postfix and that looks OK as a MTA, my real
> problem is what next? There are a number of howtos (and books) covering
> mail setups but I have not been able to find anything that discusses the
> relative merits of the different MTUs etc.
They willl _all_ do what you wish, Your requirements are fairly basic.
Qmail is probably overkill, particularly as FC1/2 doesn't ship with it.
FC2 ships with sendmail/postfix/exim, all of which are very capable MTAs.

> For fear of starting a my MTU is better than yours argument, what is the
> best setup to support the above and where can I find documentation on
> how to set it up?
just for the sake of putting my oar into this thread :-)
everyone has their favourite way of doing things. I'm waiting for the exim
crowd to get involved...
my mailserver does very similar things to your requirements, using

postfix (using TLS/SASL authentication)
MailScanner (amavisd alternative which can do some extra cool stuff, like
stripping html from emails before delivery. Sorry, it's a pet hate of mine.)
clamav (virus scanner. There are plenty of proprietary solutions as well.)
spamassassin (does what it says on the tin)
dovecot imap (only providing imap/ssl, but then that's my preference)
squirrelmail for webmail access.

the only downside with postfix is decent documentation. Buy a book. The
O'Reilly book mentioned earlier is excellent (IMHO).

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX