i2o - problems with controllers with additional memory

Dave dave at alfar.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 22:56:00 UTC 2004

After trying the workaround detailed by Warren Togami in:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg04389.html

to install Fedora Core 2 on an Adaptec 3200S (not ZCR) without any luck, I
recently tried the latest Rawhide, unfortunately also without success, only to
discover the problem was elsewhere. It didn't appear to be anaconda failing to
detect the array, but rather the kernel failing to map the controller:

PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:09.1
i2o: I2O controller found on bus 0 at 73.
i2o: PCI I2O controller at C8000000 size=134217728
i2o: Unable to map controller.
i2o: DMA / IO allocation for I2O controller  failed
I2O controller: probe of 0000:00:09.1 failed with error -12

i2o is failing in ioremap() - VmallocTotal is 106M, so this isn't surprising.
  Yes, I should have spotted this originally, but it took me a Rawhide
download and two days to notice.

lspci gave:

00:09.0 PCI bridge: Adaptec (formerly DPT) PCI Bridge (rev 02) (prog-if 00
[Normal decode])
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
	I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff

00:09.1 I2O: Adaptec (formerly DPT) SmartRAID V Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01)
	Subsystem: Adaptec (formerly DPT) 3000S Ultra3 Dual Channel
	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
	BIST result: 00
	Memory at c8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]

This appears to be the same problem reported by Markus Lidel on the LKML in June:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.0/0070.html

The controller had 128Mb SDRAM memory module on board, I removed this module
and replaced the standard 32Mb module the board would normally ship with, and
the kernel was able to correctly load the module.

The kernel used was 2.6.8-1.541 - I'm aware there is a slightly more recent
2.6.8-1.549 kernel outside of the development download, but wasn't going to
expend the effort of rebuilding a boot CD from scratch.

Ironically even Redhat 7.3 manages to detect and handle the controller with
128Mb in without issue (2.4 kernels' dpt_i2o). You'll be glad to know that
anaconda in rawhide does detect the controller without the i2o_proc hoopla,
though. =)

I realise FC3 Test 2 was delayed, are there any i2o or ioremap changes pending
that will allow me to use the controller with the larger memory module present?

I guess Warren is best placed to answer this - I do now have the controller
working with 32Mb, but I'm willing to cooperate with any testing the i2o on
linux team might want, if only out of curiosity. The controller works on the
2.4 kernel and *cough* other operating systems without issue, so it would be
nice to see the 2.6 kernel also handling this correctly. There's also a second
128Mb module here if anyone feels like seeing what 256Mb will do, probably
with FC2 and an updated kernel rather than Rawhide now, though. =)

David Zambonini