automounted filesystems don't work

Bill Shannon bill.shannon at sun.com
Mon Sep 13 07:24:01 UTC 2004

Edward wrote:

> Bill Shannon wrote:
>
>> I upgraded my Fedora Core 1 system (Dell 4550) to Fedora Core 2.
>> What a disaster!  Lots of stuff no longer works!
>>
>> I had several automounted filesystems, local and remote, that worked
>> fine under Fedora Core 1.  Now they don't work at all.  Here's my
>> auto.master file:
>>
>> # $Id: auto.master,v 1.2 1997/10/06 21:52:03 hpa Exp $
>> # Sample auto.master file
>> # Format of this file:
>> # mountpoint map options
>> # For details of the format look at autofs(8).
>> # /misc /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=60
>> /home   /etc/auto.home  -nosuid
>> /net    /etc/auto.net   -nosuid
>> /smb    /etc/auto.smb   -nosuid
>> #/net   -hosts          -nosuid
>> #/-     /etc/auto.direct        -nosuid
>>
>> Here's /etc/auto.home (the machine is named "dell"):
>>
>> shannon -rw,intr        dell:/export/home/shannon
>> nissan  -rw,intr,tcp    nissan:/export/home
>> download        -rw,intr,tcp    nissan:/backup/download
>> backup  -rw,intr,tcp    rosalind2:/backup
>> # Would like to mount the My Pictures directory, but that doesn't work
>> pictures        -fstype=smbfs,guest,rw  ://rosalind-pc/c
>> datsun  -rw,intr,noquota,rsize=512,wsize=512,actimeo=600
>> datsun:/home/datsun# following causes too many bogus mount attempts
>> #*      -rw,intr        &:/export/home
>>
>> /home/shannon shows nothing.
>>
>> Any idea why the automounter isn't working, even for local filesystems?
>

> When I run man 'auto.master', the format it gives me does not seem to
> coincide with the above at all unless I'm missing something?

Since I don't have FC2 running, I can't check the man page there.
Did this change in FC2?  Certainly this worked in FC1, and seems to
correspond just fine to the FC1 auto.master man page.  But perhaps
I'm making bad assumptions based on experience with the Solaris automounter?

> are dell, nissan, and rosalind2 NIS exported file systems?

dell is the local machine.  nissan and rosalind2 are Solaris machines
exporting filesystems.  dell is not exporting any filesystems.  I'm
expecting to get a local loopback mount for the dell entry.  None of
the auto.home entries works.

> Should you be checking NIS stuff maybe? I have a feeling the above is
> not the problem, but whatever protocols/modules/services are needed to
> get this auto-mounted isn't running.

I'm not using NIS.