observations of a newbie...possible bugs in Core 2? or maybe bugs in me

J josh8912 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 20:03:50 UTC 2004

Hello.  I am brand new to Fedora and linux but was able to install core 2 just fine.  I do have two small problems, maybe everyone else is already familiar with.

1) After updating the kernel using yum I now have logon problems with the graphic logon.  If I use the (default) second entry in the "Choose a session" list ("default system session") I get the error "Your session has lasted less than 10 seconds..." when I log on as root.  But I do not get this error if I choose the first entry in the list (gnome).  Can anyone tell me how I can make it choose gnome automatically?  I would rather not go through the extra step every time I log on.

I tried installing switchdesk, but that did not work.  After making my choice and closing the popup box, I get the message "desktop config cannot be updated".  Moreover, at logon I get the message "you have chosen gnone...do you want to use it as your default?"  If I click yes, I still get the same message every time I log on.  It was better without switchdesk installed.  I do not have KDE installed, so I think it gets confused.

2)  After installation, if I use the add/remove software feature and the software is on disk 1, I get the error that disk 1 cannot be read.  But it can be, it works fine.  So add/remove software does not have much function.

3)   If I might add a third, the "windows network" part of Nautilus seems to have no function.  There is no way to add or alter the listed network.