POP & SMTP Server Question

Martin Alderson martinalderson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:28:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:46:51 -0500, Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie at neenet.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Well I have been able to get my Fedora C2 and SquirrelMail up and
> running like a champ, so far, and I really appreciate all of the help
> that the list members have given me.
>
> Now I want to allow POP & SMTP connections to my system from users like
> Outlook and Eudora.
>
> Can someone please give me sone advise or possibly point me to a good
> HOWTO on the subject?
>
> Thanks again,
> Lonnie

Lonnie:

I suggest that you do not enable SMTP connections. Every ISP should
provide an SMTP relay that people can use. Enabling SMTP connections
can sadly mean your server will get pounded with spammers, and there
is nothing much you can do about it.

Keep in mind that IMAP is a far superior protocol to POP3 - most
servers should be able to do both with no hassles.