rsync size

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Mon Sep 13 23:25:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 15:58, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Last night I started to RSYNC the entire fedora ftp site out at
> ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora but realized that I am not sure how much
> space it might take.
>
> Could someone please tell me how much space I will need in order to
> mirror the entire distro?
>
> Thanks,
> Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

Total is 1.9GB for the core and 1022MB for the updates. Please see du
output below.

If you plan on mirroring more than the core and updates.  May I suggest
yam by Dag Wieers?

<sales pitch>

It uses rsync by default to mirror the core, updates, freshrpms, dags,
dries and newrpms repositories.  No configuration need for fc2 needed.
It create the headers for apt and yum, configure itself for apache. Also
Supports PXE/TFTP remote installs. Check it out at
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/

Total Disc Space is 5.5GB for all those repos including testing from
kde-redhat  (added for KDE 3.3) and some rpms I have downloaded from
atrpms.

</sales pitch>

du output for /var/yam/fc2-i386 where I store my FC2 rpms.

[root at gmike yam]# du -chs fc2-i386
5.5G    fc2-i386
5.5G    total
[root at gmike yam]# cd fc2-i386
[root at gmike fc2-i386]# du -chs core
1.9G    core
1.9G    total
[root at gmike fc2-i386]# du -chs updates
1022M   updates
1022M   total
[root at gmike fc2-i386]# ls
atrpms  core  dag  dries  freshrpms  kde  newrpms  updates
[root at gmike fc2-i386]#

--
Mike Ramirez <mike at thexxxhost.com>