where to start to set up wireless?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Sep 14 01:47:57 UTC 2004

On September 13, 2004 9:16 pm, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Trevor Smith wrote:
> > I have a Compaq Presario 2197CA with built-in wireless b/g. All works
> > perfectly in Windows, of course, but nothing is autodetected or set up in
> > Fedora Core 1 or 2.
> >
> > Where do I start trying to track down information on how to get it
> > working?
>
> How about '/sbin/lspci'?

aha! Thanks. Bad news (for me). I assume that the line:
00:09.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94306 802.11g (rev 02)

means I have a Broadcom wireless card in there somewhere. Unfortunately the
web site,
http://hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.other.html ,
says that it's unsupported. :-(

So I will need to try this ndis wrapper stuff I guess. Or ditch my laptop and
get one with "supported" hardware.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com