problem with 200GB hard drive

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 14 02:05:15 UTC 2004

Jim Patterson wrote:
> I am trying to install a 200GB hard drive and I can run fdisk and create
> the partition and then run mkfs.ext3 and format the partition, but
> whenever I try to mount the partition I get an error "to many files
> mounted or bad block on file system".  If I decrease the size of he
> partition to 140GB then I can mount it, increase to 160GB and then I
> can't.  If I create one partition 130GB and another partition 70GB then
> I can mount both.
> Any ideas what could be causing this,  I thought that if a computer had
> a problem with 137GB hardrives it simply wouldn't allow creation of a
> 200GB partition.
> This is on a Fedora Core 1 system.

With that much disk space to setup, have you tried this with FC2. I'm
using FC3 testing and the version is e2fsprogs-1.35-9.5

The changlog is attached. It might do a better job with this size disk.

There seems to be significant differences between the older FC2 version
and what is contained in this version. I had disk problems and there was
some complaint that one of my filesystems waa created with a newer
version of mkfs and could not be checked. This must mean that it does
more than the earlier versions or in a different way.

I don't have a disk that large to work with. This is just something that
might get the drives sized to your preferences.

Jim