Linux text editors

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Sep 14 05:12:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 20:58, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> I searched the archives of this list under "text editor" and
> found no results, so am asking...
>
> In Mac OSX there is a text editor called BBEdit
> http://www.barebones.com/ that is absolutely phenominal for text
> editing and coding.
>
> In Windows there is TextPad http://www.textpad.com/.
>
> The built-in text editor that comes with Fedora does not come
> close to either of these. What else can I YUM for that will?

NEdit
It's motif so it smells like fish - but it's very good.
I don't think it's utf-8 but that isn't needed for many things.

If you have a JRE installed - JEdit
JEdit is also available (duh - it's java) for Mac OS X and Windows

For html - Bluefish is very good

For programming I personally prefer emacs - but it takes some getting
use to.

btw - I love BBEdit - it still doesn't suck :D