After upgrading to 2.6.8.1, k3b stopped working

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Sep 14 08:04:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 23:49, Richard E Miles wrote:
> > Since I upgraded to 2.6.8.1 from 2.6.7 my k3b stopped working.  It can't
> > find the "Burning device".  Is anyone else having this problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Doug P
> This problem has been reported and answered many times on this list.
> The 2.6.8 kernels have a bug which prevents them from writing to CDs.

I'd describe it more as the older kernels have a bug that allows regular
users to destroy their IDE drives. This bug is fixed in 2.6.8 by
limiting the potentially destructive commands (needed for CD writing) to
only the root user. Further work is ongoing to safely allow regular
users to do CD writing without the risk of destroying their hardware.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>