NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111

Beej bryan-smith at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 14 13:08:56 UTC 2004

On 14 Sept 2004 Eric Tanguy Wrote:
> I try to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1 all is fine except at the
> end and the module can't be loaded.
> When i run rpm -qa | grep kernel, i obtain :
> kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8-1.521
> kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.131
> kernel-2.6.8-1.521
> so the sourcecode is installed and correspond to the running kernel.

Okay this is good!

> WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as
> a loadable kernel module.
>
> The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver; the
> NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed,
> but be aware that the NVIDIA driver will not be able to
> function properly if the rivafb module is loaded!
> -> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
> executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make clean'...

The rviafb driver is not a problem.  When I installed my drivers using this method i got the same warnings and just moved on.  No problems have been encountered, so far, on my machine.

> NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
> -> done.
> -> Kernel module compilation complete.
> ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely
> because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.
> Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
> kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
> 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source
> files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
> '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> -> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting
> './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
> -1 No such device
> ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
> '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
> on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
> driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

You could be looking at the answer here: "If you know the correct kernel source
 files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
 '--kernel-source-path' commandline option."
What you could try is typing this this at the root command prompt:
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111.pkg1.run --kernel-source-path (I am running FC2 with the same kernel as you and mine is located here: /usr/src/ directory as a directory called linux-2.6.8-1.521 directory.)  Also, before I ran my install on the Nvidia drivers, I sent an earlier version of the source code to the trash.  It worked for me.  You could also look here for help with this issue: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14 .  Beware of line wrapping.  I had some strange things happening on my system and got help there.  Just remember to read the readme file and make your changes to the conf file.
Also, here is a link to the man online page about the GNU Bash or sh command:
http://man.linuxquestions.org/index.php?query=sh&section=0&type=2

Hope this is of some help.  Like you I am new so you may already know some of this.  If it is redundant I apologize.

Cheers,
Beej