Help !

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Sep 14 15:13:53 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 14.09.2004 schrieb Julien Le Houérou um 15:25:

> Hi, i juste upgraded to 2.6.8-1.521smp, with the brand new video drivers
> from nvidia (6111), and it remains the hell :
>
>     - X tries to launch at least 10 times, on different displays, so
> 	that i never can see the login banner and have to run startx 			from a
> command line to get an x-desktop working
>
> and as if it wouldn't be enough
>
>     - the gnome desktop background does not display, neither the desktop
> itself (however i can correctly see the gnome panel).

Could you be more specific? Running X started not through the display
manager but invoked by startx command, you then have no gnome running
properly?

I suspect that you run gdm, so have a look at the log file. That is
always the starting point. To be found where all other logs are located
too, under /var/log/ - here in an own directory: /var/log/gdm/.

> PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me mad :'-(

Please don't behave like a little child, crying and whining. So do not
repeat your mailings (your first mail with same content and different
subject was from today 11:36). If nobody answers, nobody has time or is
willing to answer or has an idea. Repeating, even with starting a new
thread, is kind of unfriendly. This is no support group, just a helping
community of volunteers.

> Julien Le Houérou

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 17:06:48 up 15 days, 14:23, load average: 0.84, 0.87, 0.62