file creation date

Greg Wildman rhlist at itns.co.za
Tue Sep 14 15:53:48 UTC 2004

Michael Griffin said the following on 14/09/2004 17:39:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 11:34, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 14 September 2004 11:25 am, Michael Griffin wrote:
>>
>>>How do I display/retrieve the date a file was created (using bash
>>>shell)?
>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I don't think such metadata exist. If there is, it should be an option on the
>>filesystem..but anyway, the standard ones are (ACM):
>>
>>A- access time  (displayed with "ls -lu"
>>C- changed time (displayed with "ls -lc"
>>M- modification time (displayed with "ls -l"
>>
>>HTH,
>>Jorge
>>

> Then does the test command with nt only test against a-c-m?

The test command (using -nt) tests against the modification date (check
the man page).

You can get all the detail per file with the stat command.

E.g.  /usr/bin/stat <filename>

--
A senior Microsoft executive is telling lies in public.
In other startling news, the sky is blue and water has been seen