aic7xx system hangs

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 18:06:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 09:27, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> I did what you said and (after doing it twice to correct a typo:) ) it
> was working!  I was very excited to see the machine get past the
> another problem has cropped up.  I get the following message:
>
> Checking for new hardwaremodprobe:  FATAL:  Error inserting aic7xxx
> (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.ko):  No such
> device
>
> kernel panic:  aic7xxx  unrecoverable  BRKADRINT
>

> I don't understand why it requires the device to be loaded initially
> but now it can't even find the device.  Is there another step that
> needs to be done to include the appropriate driver in the kernel?

My guess would be that it is trying to load the new aic7xxx driver
because Kudzu thinks it has found new hardware.

Have you modified your /etc/modprobe.conf from:

alias scsi_hostadapter aix7xxx

to:

alias scsi_hostadapter aix7xxx_old

If not try that. Kudzu should give you the option to "Do nothing". That
should allow you to at least get the system up.
--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>