Fedora 2, Spam & Mail Transport

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 00:27:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 19:49, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On September 14, 2004 4:21 pm, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > Can kmail use both bogofilter and spamassassin, like it can use f-prot and
> > clamav [both antivirus programs] ?
>
> I don't run spamassassin (I'm a single user laptop) but my web/mail hosting
> company does. Spamassassin marks everything up and sends it to me, then
> bogofilter judges everything (including the stuff that spamassassin misses)
> and marks it spam or not according to its statistical analysis. So yes, you
> can run the two together.

You can also use spamassassin as part of a filter on your email
package.  I have been using it list this with evolution for some time
now and it does a great job.  You just use your email client as always
connecting to your ISPs email server using pop3 and have a filter that
passes each message through spamassassin.  Its return value tells you if
it is spam or not.  If it is spam I have it move the message to a
holding folder just in case it is a false positive.  (Have not had a
false positive in over a year)  I have a short script that teaches the
bayes database the spam messages.  Any spam that is missed, I get about
5 or so a week, I put in a special folder which is also processed by the
script.  I run the script once a week or so.

Now if you are running an email server then I recommend a combination of
spamassassin and greylisting.  Greylisting will block 99% of the spam
from even getting onto your server.  Highly effective.  Those that do
get through are caught by spamassassin.  I believe there are version of
greylisting packages out there for most of the MTAs available.  I have
used milter-greylist with sendmail at work for some time now and it is
fantastic.

So you have a choice, you can set up an MTA or simply use spamassassin
as a filter on your email client.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading
this sort of trash.