Linux text editors

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Sep 15 01:03:33 UTC 2004

--On Tuesday, September 14, 2004 8:41 PM -0400 "Scot L. Harris"
<webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I used emacs on a wide variety of systems many years ago.  At the time
> it was the closest to a universal editor for the different systems I was
> using back then.

Anyone remember TECO, the line editor used on printing terminals? I used
that back before the first version of Emacs was implemented as a giant TECO
macro. (Which illustrates how powerful TECO was.) Those seeking nostalgia
(or pain!) should check this out:

<http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TecoEditor>

Included are links to modern ports and the TECO Pocket Guide.